Monday, April 13, 2009

The new "age" of facebook

I remember being among one of the first, out of my friends, to join the facebook revolution. I was a sophomore in college and the big thing was that you could keep a great connection between friends who may not live close to you. I was also able to keep a photo album documenting my college years. These days it is rare to find a college student, or even a student in general who isn't on facebook. However the trend doesnt simply stop there, According to a recent article by John Sutter of CNN, "older generations are beginning to join the social networking" phenom. According to the article, parents and grandparents first started joining facebook to keep tabs on their kids and their friends, now those parents are starting to use the social tool to network with their friends.

One question that first arises in my mind is how this will effect Facebook's current users. I for one would rather not be "facebook stalked" by my parents. Will this hurt facebook in any way, possibly seeing the younger crowd dissipate in usage on their website. Over the past few years i have gradually limited my usage of facebook. Rather than checking it compulsively every couple hours I may check it once a week. I feel that my crowd of friends have gradually become less dependent on it over time. Will this have an effect on more students my age? I guess time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment